Monday, October 29, 2012

Gayetha Designs at the Tasmanian Craft Fair

We will be heading up to Deloraine early on Thursday morning to set up our stall at the yearly Tasmanian Craft Fair.   It will run for four days and is my major retail event for the year.   I have made lots of lampwork glass necklaces, pendants and earrings, but I have quite a bit of seed beadwork on offer this year too.  I have added a few other bits and pieces in, all beaded in some way, so that there will be a bit of variety, because strangely enough, not everyone wants to wear lampwork (although I really wish they would!)
One of the conditions of entry is that I must demonstrate my craft at the stall.   I wouldn't dare to take a propane/oxygen torch into the lovely hall where we will be though - I might burn the beautiful wooden floors!  Last year I demonstrated Tudor style (netting) beadweaving.  This year I have been having a lot of fun doing tubular crochet beaded ropes so I will demonstrate how to make them to any of interested passers-by.   Crochet tubes are really soft and amazingly flexible.  Very comfy to wear too.
You can do all sorts of patterns - subtle or bold, depending on your choice of beads.   They work up fairly quickly once you get the knack for it.  I have worked out a few tips for the technique which I needed to do so that it wouldn't take six months just to do only one.
 You can get lovely textures and interesting effects by using beads other than seed beads.
Another fun activity that I did over Tassie's long dark winter was to get my old knitting machine out and knit a few scarves in fine wool and cotton.   This one is in 4ply (fingering weight) merino and alpaca.  Naturally I had to add some beads!  So I will have a few of these at the Tasmanian Craft Fair as well. 

I had great intentions to have a lot of brooches too, but I only managed to keep one for the Fair - the others made wonderful presents.  Maybe next year....

I have been so busy in the last few weeks   I am looking forward to the excitement of having my pieces all out on show.  I plan to have a bit of a rest after that!

If you are able to get to the Tasmanian Craft Fair at Deloraine - come and see Gaye and Max in Venue 1, Stall 102.  Also in our venue there is Eraine's fantastic stall, More Than Skin Deep, with beautiful soap and skin care products that she makes herself.   Next to her will be Denise, Stitched By Me, who does the most amazing smocking.   And nearby is Bev with her beautiful bound books, BookSeed.   The rest of the Fair is packed with the products of hundreds of talented makers/designers.   It is a feast for people who appreciate handmade crafts.

The Tasmanian Craft Fair will open this Friday 9am (2 November) and continue until 4pm on Monday (5 November).  For more information visit www.tascraftfair.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment