Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Snakes and Markets

So - what does one do with a pile of Japanese long magatama beads?   I had to buy them because they were so interesting, but somehow they didn't make their way into any of the beaded pieces that I was making.   Then I saw a pic of a brick-stitched bracelet, in one of the magazines, using them.


But brick stitch is a bit slow, and the beads are very unwieldy.   So they sat in my stash for some months while other projects took my fancy.

Then I had a bit of a breakthrough in managing to do some tubular crochet rope necklaces.   One could say I got a little obsessed with the technique for a while.    So, when I had a go at crocheting the long magatamas - suddenly I had this sinuous, scaly creature-like rope.   It just had to become a lovely slithery sssssnake.    The perfect gift for my dear friend Rosy for her birthday!  

I had such fun making this one, I had to make another!    So, ready for Christmas, Wayne's Sssssnake was hatched.


He is a bit less smooth - more like he has his hackles up.    Plus he has fangs to go with his red forked tongue!   A much more dangerous character.



And my other news - I have sent some more lovely lampwork pieces up to the Artisan Gallery and Wine Centre, north of Launceston in Tasmania.   If you are up that way drop in and check out the beautiful range of quality handcrafted artworks (and Tassie wine if you like that sort of thing).
http://www.artisangallery.com.au/

This weekend - Sunday 13th January - I will have the Gayetha Designs range on display at the  

Kingston Beach Handmade Market

Come along and say hello!   Sadly there will be no snakes there, but lots of other fabulous glassy goodness that I have had a lot of fun making.  

For more information, and how to get there - http://www.kbhm.com.au/


No comments:

Post a Comment